Pursuant to Article V, Section 3, of the Constitution of the Diocese of San Joaquin, I, the Secretary of Convention, hereby notify you that the Annual Meeting of the Convention of the Diocese of San Joaquin will be held at Episcopal Conference Center Oakhurst on October 25-26, 2019. Please share this information with your delegates. Registration is ONLY available online at: https://diosanjoaquin.org/diocesan-convention/. Agenda, convention information, nomination and resolution forms and guidelines may be downloaded from same link.
DIOCESAN COUNCIL DEANERY ELECTIONS:
Per Canon IX, Sec. 9.02 Deanery Members of Council. Six (6) of the members of Diocesan Council shall be elected by the Deanery Council of the Deaneries of the Diocese, one (1) clerical member and one (1) lay member from each Deanery. The Deanery Council meeting preceding the annual Convention there shall be elected one (1) Presbyter or Deacon, and one (1) lay member to Diocesan Council from two (2) of the Deaneries. These elections shall rotate among the Deaneries in such a manner so that a Deanery will only be electing one member at a time. Elections are due as follows:
- Northern Deanery: No elections due
- Central Deanery: One (1) Clergy Member – Class of 2022
- Southern Deanery: One (1) Lay Member – Class of 2022
- Nominations for Elective Offices: A blank nomination form can be downloaded athttps://diosanjoaquin.org/diocesan-convention/. The nomination form includes all information regarding nominations and offices to be filled.
- Deadline for Nominations: Nominations must be received by September 10, 2019. Submit them to Chair, Nominations Committee, Diocese of San Joaquin, 4147 East Dakota Avenue, Fresno, CA 93726 or email to Cindy Smith at email@example.com.
- Nominations at Convention: Pursuant to Canon V, Sec 5.01 (2) nominations may also be made from the convention floor.
- Resolutions to Convention: Canon V Sec 5.01. (3) Requires that all proposed resolutions be submitted not less than sixty (60) days before the Convention to the Committee on Resolutions Chair. While resolutions may also be submitted from the floor, such resolutions will require a 2/3 vote of the Convention to be considered.
- If the Resolution also proposes to amend, add, or change the Canons and Constitution, the resolutions should also be submitted to the Chair of the Committee on Constitution and Canons. Canon XXXV also requires that any such resolution be submitted to the Chair of the Committee not less than sixty (60) days prior to the Convention. The Committee shall then issue a report on such resolutions not less than thirty (30) days prior to the Convention.
- Resolutions affecting the Constitution and/or Canons may also be submitted from the floor, but require a 3/4 vote of the Convention to be considered.
- For form and content of resolutions, please visit: https://diosanjoaquin.org/diocesan-convention/ to download the memo from the Committee on Resolutions and exemplars.
- Deadline for Submission of Resolutions: Resolutions must be received by August 26, 2019. Currently the Chair of both the Committees on Resolutions and Constitution and Canons is our Diocesan Chancellor, Michael Glass. Resolutions may be emailed, faxed, or mailed directly to him at:
Michael O. Glass, Esq.
RAGGHIANTI | FREITAS LLP
1101 Fifth Avenue, Suite 100
San Rafael, CA 94901
Tel. 415.453.9433, ext. 122;
* Submissions may also be made to the attention of Michael Glass at the Diocesan Office.
Terry March, Secretary of Convention